This year's version of the West Virginia Watercolor Society's national juried exhibition, Aqueous 2020, like many exhibitions across the country, has faced some challenges.
Plans were to hold the exhibition at Arts Monongahela in downtown Morgantown during June. Then, after delays resulted from COVID-19 concerns and lockdowns, the exhibition dates and entry deadline were moved back, with plans to open the show in the gallery during August. However, Arts Monongahela was understandably concerned about planning the event in advance, given that regulations and executive orders were constantly shifting, so WVWS decided in early June to move the exhibition to an online format.
WVWS wants to thank our juror, Brienne Brown, NWS, who also led the WVWS annual workshop in 2018. WVWS also wants to thank all our entering artists for sticking with us through the schedule and format modifications. We would prefer to see these beautiful works in person, but this year we are forced to content ourselves with a digital display of the accepted paintings. We look forward to our next opportunity to gather in a gallery to enjoy beautiful pieces of art.
Awards have been announced for this show, with a gallery of the winning paintings below. WVWS member Sandra Pealer won Best of Show with her painting "The Artist at Rest."
Please click through the button link below to see all the paintings chosen by Brienne for this exhibition.
If you are interested in purchasing any of the exhibition paintings, prices are listed for each work, and you should click the link on the online gallery page to open the Purchase Inquiry form. The artist will then contact you with more information. Also, on the Online Gallery page, be sure to vote for your People's Choice selection. Voting will remain open for People's Choice until August 1. The winner will be announced on August 3 and the image will be added to the award winner gallery on this page.
Aqueous 2020 Award Winners
Aqueous 2020 Accepted Artists
- Ronda Albright, Martinsburg, "Alpine Village in Winter”
- Ronda Albright, Martinsburg, "Summer at the Lake”
- Ina Armstrong, St. Albans, "Trumpet Blooms"
- Brenda Beatty, St. Albans, "Fostora Roses"
- Mary Alice Bowers, Martinsburg, "Flowers Unlimited"
- Jeanne Brenneman, Lewisburg, "Air and Water"
- William Campbell, Midlothian, Va., "Native Son"
- Karen Catlett, Wheeling, "Old Farm"
- F. Dennis Clarke, Martinsburg, "Adagio"
- F. Dennis Clarke, Martinsburg, "Foot Prints"
- John Coffey, Princeton, "No Longer in Use"
- John Coffey, Princeton, "Rain on the North Sea"
- Katherine Crim, Clarksburg, "Elekala Falls"
- Katherine Crim, Clarksburg, "A River Runs Through It"
- Deirdre Duncan, Rivesville, "Faith"
- Linda Elmer, Fairmont, "Spruce, Lakeside"
- Katelyn Gatian, Jane Lew, "Innocent Curiosity"
- Claudia Giannini, Shepherdstown, "Archeopteryx"
- George Gow, Richmond, KY, "Portrait of a Landscape Artist"
- Barbara Hale, Princeton, "Walking in the Rain"
- Janet Hart, Wheeling, "Tulip Sway"
- Carol Hubbard, Newton, Conn., "Moonlife"
- Ardythe Jolliff, Edgewater, Md., "Collection Reflections"
- Gina Judy, Richmond, Ohio, "Blue-eyed Ballerina Backstage in Spanish Dress"
- Rick Kowalewski, Silver Springs, Md., "Anacostia Gold"
- Rick Kowalewski, Silver Springs, Md., "Winter Leaves"
- Debbie Lester, Daniels, "Traveling WV"
- Jamie Lester, Morgantown, "Winter Reflections"
- Jamie Lester, Morgantown, "Algae Pond"
- Dongfeng Li, Morehead, Ky., "A Touch of Mist on the Tibetan Plateau"
- Jane C. Michael, Morgantown, "Giraffes at the Wilds"
- Jane C. Michael, Morgantown, "The Mime"
- Rita Montrosse, Princeton, "Earth Bound"
- Sandra Pealer, South Paris, Maine, "The Artist at Rest"
- Sue Pitsch, Stephens City, Va., "Jordan Pond"
- Julie Read, Winchester, Va., "Tied Up in Knots"
- Judy Reed, Salem, "Good Memories"
- Christine Rhodes, Parkersburg, "Fishing Expedition"
- Christine Rhodes, Parkersburg, "Best Laid Plans"
- Jeannine Romano, Bridgeport, "Turn a Frown Upside Down"
- Jeannine Romano, Bridgeport, "Old Friends in Hard Times Are a Comfort"
- Patricia Stine, Renick, "Summer Pasture"
- Patricia Stine, Renick, "Waiting Game"
- Kay Sullivan, Tucson, Ariz., "Sunlight in Her Eyes"
- Kay Sullivan, Tucson, Ariz., "Man in Beatty Saloon"
- Jeannine Swartz, Mechanicsburg, Pa., "Blue Iris"
- Jeannine Swartz, Mechanicsburg, Pa., “Daisies in Blue Mason Jar"
- Jan van Egmond, Charleston, “Looking for a Spot“
- Jan van Egmond, Charleston, “Fort Lauderdale Street“
- Rema White, Jane Lew, “Building on Sand“
- Monica Wilkins, Shepherdstown, "Rockfish Gap, Virginia"