West Virginia Watercolor Society Associate and Juried members are invited to apply for either Juried or Signature status in the society.
An online application process is available this year. Please read the information below to prepare for the online application.
For those who want to apply using a printed form, CD, and submit using USPS mail, please scroll to the bottom of this page to find the printable form for download.
WVWS Jury for Status Requirements – 2020
- July 15, 2020 – Deadline for application. Images and forms submitted to Laurie Goldstein-Warren for preparation for the jury committee
- Approximately Sept. 1, 2020 – Member is notified of results; president, membership chair, webmaster and newsletter editor are notified of results.
- Paintings must be created by using a water-based media in an aqueous manner on paper or board.
- Work created in a workshop or classroom or with direction from any instructor is not allowed.
- All pieces submitted to the jury committee must be the artist’s own original creation.
- Paintings created from photo images must be of the artist’s original sources (photos taken by and property of the entering artist).
- Sources must not be from copyrighted materials including internet sources or appropriated/copied from other art.
- In mixed media pieces, water media must be dominant.
Digital Specifications and Guidelines:
- When taking photographs of your work, use a quality setting on your camera and take your images under even lighting. Avoid taking photos of paintings through glass or acrylic because the glare and reflections are distracting. It’s best to photograph before your works are framed.
- Once you have a digital image, open the image on your computer crop it to eliminate dead space, frames or mats, so that only your painting is visible in the image.
- Digital images should be an accurate depiction of your painting, and not enhanced.
- Resize your image so it is between 1 MB and 3 MB in file size. A good rule of thumb to fit in this size range would be to make the longest edge of your painting 2200 pixels wide. Please see the link below for a helpful video on resizing images for art submissions.
- File names should be formatted as Title_heightXwidth.jpg (example: ThatWhichWeCallARose_30x22.jpg)
- Submit images in jpg format using the online entry forms (links for each are below).
Juried Status Applicants:
- Prepare 6 digital images of work, according to the digital guidelines, completed since January 1, 2016.
- Complete the Juried online submission form (link below) and use it to upload your images.
Signature Status Applicants:
- Only Juried status members may apply for Signature status.
- Prepare 4 digital images of work, according to the digital guidelines, that have NOT been accepted into a juried WVWS Aqueous exhibit.
- Demonstrate proof of acceptance into at least two WVWS juried exhibits within a period of 6 years – as proof you will need to submit your accepted painting title and the opening date for the show. Please visit the WVWS juried exhibition page to find the information you need to fulfill this requirement.
- Complete the Signature online submission form (link below) and use it to upload your images.
If you want to print and and mail your application...
If you experience problems printing the printable form, download it to your computer and open that file in Acrobat Reader to print it.
If you are using a PC, right click on the large button link above, and choose "Save Link As" or "Save Target As" from the menu that appears. If you are using a Mac, hold the Control key while clicking the button to see the menu choices. Then choose a location on your computer, such as your Desktop, to save the file.
Once you have saved the file, you can doubleclick it to open and print it.
If you have questions about the process, contact Laurie Goldstein-Warren by email.