Page last updated 4-18-18
WVWS is interested in supporting the efforts of our state’s art organizations. We will post information about watermedia workshops sponsored by West Virginia-based art groups on our website. Limit of 90 words per listing. For more information, contact the WVWS webmaster at wvwatercolor[-at-]gmail.com
Morgantown Art Association hosting watermedia workshops
The Morgantown Art Association has several workshops planned for the coming months, including watermedia workshops led by Laurie Goldstein-Warren, Lynn Lysick, Lynn Ferris, Sue Archer and Sterling Edwards. You can learn more about these opportunities by visiting the MAA website workshop page at http://www.morgantownartassociation.com/workshops–classes.html.
Calls for Entry
2018 Tamarack Best of West Virginia Juried Exhibition
The Best of West Virginia presents its prospectus for the 2018 Best of West Virginia Juried Exhibition. Participants in the exhibition are eligible for awards totaling $4,000. The prospectus and entry application can be viewed at https://tamarack.submittable.com/submit/86254/10th-annual-best-of-west-virginia-juried-exhibition-2018.
Submissions are due April 23, 2018.
If you have questions, please contact Alice Yurick, Gallery Supervisor for The David L. Dickirson Fine Arts Gallery, via phone at 1-88-TAMARACK, ext. 157 or via email at email@example.com, with BOWV in the subject line.
2018 NWS 98th International Open Exhibition
Registration is now open for the 2018 NWS 98th International Open Exhibition, Oct. 4 – Dec. 16, 2018. More than $40,000 in awards will be distributed. Jurors of Selection are Carla O’Connor, Linda Daly Baker, and Linda A. Doll. Juror of Awards will be D. Scott Atkinson. Deadline to enter is May 18, 2018 – 12:00 Noon, PST. Online entry is available at www.NWSExhibition.com
Philadelphia Water Color Society Exhibition
Al Richards, director of the Philadelphia Water Color Society’s 118th Anniversary International Exhibition of Works on Paper, is extending an invitation to WVWS members to enter PWCS’s 2018 international exhibition, which will be held Oct. 14 – Nov. 24, 2018, at the Wayne Art Center, Wayne, Pa.
Juror of Selection will be Alan Wylie, and Judge of Awards will be Alvaro Castagnet. A 3-day workshop during October 2018 will also be conducted by Alvaro Castagnet.
Over $8,000.00 in awards, including $1,500.00 Best in Show, will be presented. Media may include watercolor, acrylic, pastel, gouache, pen & ink, graphite, colored pencil and hand-pulled prints.
Online entry. Prospectus, submission information and workshop info will be available around Jan. 31, 2018, at www.pwcsociety.org. Online entry for the exhibition will open on April 1, 2018, and entry access will conclude on July 15, 2018.
The workshop with Alvaro Castagnet is expected to fill quickly. Visit the workshop listing on the Wayne Art Center website for more information: https://apm.activecommunities.com/wayneart/Activity_Search/workshop-watercolor-with-alvaro-castagnet/6810.
Pop-up Exhibition Opportunity in Charleston
On the third Thursday of each month from March to December, the Juliet Art Museum, in partnership with Riggs Commercial Realty, sponsor one emerging, West Virginian artist during ArtWalk. By providing a location in Downtown Charleston during the event for that local artist to showcase their work for the length of the event, setting up and tearing down in the same day, the Emerging Artist Pop-Up Exhibit aims to promote and support emerging West Virginian artists.
To Apply, email the following documents to JAM@theclaycenter.org
☐ CV with link to artist website (PDF)
☐ Up to 5 PDF images including title, medium, size, year.
☐ Artist statement (PDF)
☐ Preferred month to exhibit (March through December 2018)
Applicant Instructions and Disclaimer:
- Artists are invited to submit up to 5 examples of work (.PDF) listing the title, medium, size, and year, that are representative of what would be shown at the Juliet Art Museum Pop Up.
- Artists should include a brief artist statement (maximum of 250 words) about the submitted works and a one page CV listing exhibition history (both documents must be PDFs).
- Artists are to be aware that the locations provided by Riggs Realty have wall hanging restrictions and therefore artists are asked to consider alternate hanging solutions (command hooks, easels, etc.) which are supplied by the Juliet Art Museum. Any specialized hanging systems are to be supplied by the artist and approved by the Juliet Art Museum and Riggs Realty.
- Artists are responsible for same-day set up and take down of the show, with assistance from the Juliet Art Museum.
- The Juliet Art Museum reserves the right to photograph accepted works for publicity and educational purposes.
- Artists are to be aware that the location of the ArtWalk pop up is subject to change, and therefore the Juliet Art Museum cannot guarantee a specific location.
- Artists will be notified via email upon acceptance or otherwise.
- The Juliet Art Museum reserves the right to reject any work that is not properly represented in submission and is not ready to hang and/or display. Entry into the Juliet Art Museum Emerging Artist Pop Up does not guarantee your work will be selected.
- The Juliet Art Museum and Riggs Commercial Realty will exercise every possible care in the safekeeping of artist’s work while in their possession but are not responsible for any damage or loss of property during set up, exhibition, or deinstallation – all liability is taken by the artist.
See and Do
WVWS grant applications available
The West Virginia Watercolor Society is mandated by charter to “Promote and Ensure the High Standards of the Art of Watercolor in the State of West Virginia.”
To this end, WVWS is offering a grant of up to $500 to a member for the purpose of fostering creativity within the state. To download the grant application, click HERE.
Manchin exhibition space available
WVWS members have an opportunity to exhibit at U.S. Sen. Joe Manchin’s Fairmont office. Contact Jeannine Romano at Jeannine@jromanoart.com or call 304-672-0222.